The 36-acre site, formerly part of the Chaseville Park estate, was acquired by the Metropolitan Asylums Board in 1883-4. The partnership of Pennington and Bridgen were the architects for the new hospital whose foundation stone was laid in May, 1885. The hospital was opened on 25th September, 1887. Built as an isolation hospital by the Metropolitan Asylums Board 1885/90. In 1890, demand for further accommodation led to the erection of nine temporary ward huts providing 200 additional beds. In 1900, the northern part of the Winchmore Hill site became home to a new isolation hospital erected by the Enfield Urban District Council. It replaced a temporary establishment of iron buildings erected in 1891. The new Enfield Isolation Hospital, which opened on 10th February, 1900, was designed Mr Collins, the District Council Surveyor, and the construction work was carried out by Messrs. Chesoum and Sons. In 1905, its operation was taken over by the Enfield and Edmonton Joint Hospital Board. .
In 1930, on the abolition of the Metropolitan Asylums Board, control of the hospital passed to the London County Council. It became an emergency bed service hospital in 1939, then in 1948 joined the newly formed National Health Service. Even in 1973 it was a hospital for acute cases with 550 beds. The Northern hospital changed its name to Highlands Hospital, and it continued in operation until the 1990s with 16 separate blocks with accommodation for 480 patients.
After its partial closure, the site was sold for residential use with most of the original buildings surviving to this day.
In 1993 C&M, the OFEX-quoted housebuilder, bought the 21.6ha (53 acres) at Highlands Hospital, Winchmore Hill, including a conservation area, for around £20m and immediately sold on some land to Barratts for a 400-house scheme.
Architects drew upon the historic factors of the site and the site includes a variety of domestic homes for the private and public sectors, residential and care homes for the elderly residents of the Enfield district, a Sainsbury’s supermarket, a Healthcare centre, a children's nursery and a pharmacy to complete the village theme.
Many of the existing buildings were retained and skillfully refurbished and converted into apartments and dwellings. Much new building also took place creating houses and apartments with modern but complimentary designs. Much of the fifty-five acres of boundary fields, and the mature trees and shrubberies, were integrated into the scheme.
The result is a vibrant and improving residential setting with a variety of home types and styles to meet the requirements and demands of the home buying public. Being within the catchment area for sone of the areas most well regarded and recently redeveloped schools has added to the demand for homes (Grange Park and Highlands).